Apply nowJob no: 493804
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Library & IT
Library and Information Technology at Bucknell is a unified organization that has evolved dramatically in the past decade, shedding over time many of the distinctions that frequently separate university library and information technology departments. Since 2008, the organization, comprised of eighty-five staff members, has been led by Param Bedi, Vice-President for Library and Information Technology. Under his direction, Library and Information Technology’s leadership team has helped usher in a new spirit – a paradigm shift that has moved the organization from transactional to transformational. The division cherishes and carefully maintains its highly interactive work environment, and as such anticipates hiring a Programmer Analyst who is committed to hard work, collegiality, and laughter as a member of a team-oriented group. In general, we seek colleagues who are naturally curious, exhibit an openness to our existing affinity for inclusion and diversity of all sorts, who possess a willingness to change, and who embrace all that is made possible through collaboration.
Working collaboratively with fellow members of Library and Information Technology (L&IT) and functional area leads, the Programmer Analyst supports configuration and integration of vendor-delivered solutions and, when needed, designs and develops creative custom solutions for the University’s community of enterprise system users. The primary goals of this position are to enable end users to effectively leverage the strategic enterprise applications, including Ellucian Banner, Slate, Workday, and Blackbaud, to fulfill their work responsibilities. To that end, this individual will collaborate to ensure best use of delivered vendor solutions, develop custom applications of broad campus impact, maintain interfaces between applications, including externally hosted applications, and assist in the analysis and implementation of new initiatives. As an Enterprise System (ES) team member, this position may cross-train and support multiple areas of Bucknell‚Äôs ERP and CRM landscape; however, the primary focus will be support of the Finance, Human Resources, Payroll, and/or Student functions.
Operations and Project Responsibilities
– Assist in the planning and design and perform development of custom software-related projects using programming solutions such as Linux shell scripting, SQL, PL/SQL, Java, HTML, XML, and web services.
– Assist in the planning and design and perform configuration of commercial products, including externally hosted and/or SaaS solutions.
– Provide application administrator services to assigned systems.
– Perform the business analysis function for assigned functional areas and projects.
– Participate as an active member of project teams related to design, development, configuration, installation, integration, and support of systems ancillary to the strategic ERP/CRM platforms, including in-house and commercial vendor systems, ensuring good documentation and adherence to technical design standards/architecture. Such systems include, but are not limited to, Ascend document imaging, VanillaSoft CRM/dialing, MuleSoft Anypoint ESB, CS Gold, and StarRez.
– Guide functional areas, such as Finance, HR, Payroll, Student, and/or Admissions, through evaluation and testing of vendor patches, new feature adoption, and new releases, following change-control management and vendor-recommended best practices and procedures.
– Assist in the integration and growth of the University’s business intelligence and reporting solutions, including the Bucknell Data Warehouse (BDW) and the Cognos Business Intelligence and Tableau toolsets including data validation, modeling, and extract-transform-load (ETL).
– Provide status and issue reports as requested.
– Maintain, respect, and protect the confidentiality of information held within or transferred across the University’s computer and communication resources in any format.
– Respond to requests to address auditor recommendations and comply with set standards and goals.
– Provide training and instruction for the transfer of unique expertise and knowledge to other members of the Library and IT staff as well as members of the campus community.
– Be willing to respond to occasional emergency situations as they arise outside of normal working hours.
– Comply with university computing and data security standards.
– Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
– Provide regular, ongoing feedback to peers and management promoting continuous improvement, proactive service, and relationship building.
Technical Planning, Communication, and Management Responsibilities
– Serve as a proactive advocate for the appropriate use of baseline vendor functions and supported enhancements through vendor-supported product configuration in order to limit the support and maintenance activities associated with customized solutions.
– Keep abreast of new technology developments and make recommendations regarding opportunities for implementation.
– Maintain technical competencies and currency related to supported application releases and other applications as assigned to fully support the University community.
– Champion policies and standards governing the Project Life Cycle (PLC) including, but not limited to, the testing of new releases, the development of enhancements, deployment, daily operations and maintenance, reporting, and documentation (technical and end user).
– Support and contribute to disciplined project management practices of assigned projects and related to assigned functional areas.
– Support strategy for code review, reusability, and versioning.
– Support policies which promote process and service improvement across the enterprise.
– Bachelor’s degree in computer-related field and 4 years relevant experience (or an equivalent combination of education and experience)
– Three years’ experience in SQL applications programming and support
– Three years’ experience supporting functional users and performing the business analysis function
– Experience in conducting requirements gathering sessions and brainstorming workshops
– Working familiarity with data warehousing and business intelligence concepts, techniques, tools
– Debugging, optimization tuning and troubleshooting skills
– Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a dynamic and demanding environment
– Proven ability to manage multiple complex assignments with sensitivity to deadlines, priorities, and changing circumstances
– Demonstrated professional work ethic and positive, enthusiastic problem-solving attitude
– Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
– Demonstrated ability to work with limited supervision
– Ability and willingness to support Bucknell’s commitment to diversity and inclusion
Bucknell University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities.
Bucknell University is a private, highly selective, unique national University where liberal arts and strong professional programs in engineering, business, education and music complement each other. We seek candidates who are committed to Bucknell‚Äôs efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we welcome applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Bucknell is a NCAA Division I (FCS) and Patriot League member institution that sponsors 27 varsity athletics programs. Located in Central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River, Bucknell is nestled in the Borough of Lewisburg, an architectural gem that has been ranked as one of America‚Äôs best small towns. The Lewisburg area offers a unique combination of outdoor recreation opportunities, and appealing amenities such as art galleries, an art deco theater, historic museums, and charming independent boutiques and restaurants. In addition to the many cultural and athletic events offered by the University and the Borough, the surrounding region offers outstanding schools, medical facilities, and an affordable cost of living. For those who crave the city, Bucknell is within an easy three-hour drive to Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.