Swarthmore seeking Assistant Director, Advancement Systems

Assistant Director, Advancement Systems

Job no: 493485
Work type: Full Time
Location: Swarthmore
Categories: Administration, Staff

Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.

The Assistant Director is responsible for managing prospect and non-prospect data to improve efficiencies within Advancement and further engagement opportunities for Swarthmore’s donors. The incumbent works with Advancement colleagues and campus partners to: Provide technical support to maintain the integrity of the database and the associated constituent information; Support the work of Advancement Communications and other campus partners in connecting with constituents; Coordinate, plan, and deliver training opportunities for Advancement colleagues, including writing and maintaining documentation of business practices; Support Advancement departments with ongoing data management, training, communications, testing, and reporting needs; and oversee and become the expert in select Advancement vendors and tools to advance departmental goals. Perform other duties as assigned.

Required Education and Experience:

• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
  • One to three (1-3) years working in organizational or institutional advancement with relational databases and reporting and development software.
  • Experience with a fundraising database and an excellent understanding of the general underlying database structures and rules to support fundraising efforts.

Required Skills and Abilities:

• Strong organizational skills, demonstrated experience in project management, and ability to respond to multiple priorities.
  • Extreme accuracy and attention to detail with ability to handle multiple and varied tasks both independently and collaboratively.
  • Data management skills demonstrating the ability to manage large amounts of data and organize it into meaningful reports.
  • Excellent analytical, communication and interpersonal skills. A talent for listening, interpreting, and synthesizing information.  Ability to effectively bridge communications between non-technical software end-users and the technical team.
  • Strong skills in dealing with people, using tact and diplomacy, and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Strong customer service skills.
  • Exceptional computer skills with experience evaluating, mastering and implementing peripheral software applications, and training colleagues in various applications. Highly proficient in Windows operating system and Microsoft Suite.
  • Ability to work evenings, weekends, or as needed to complete projects or meet heavy demand.
  • Ability to communicate fluently in English, speak in public and on the telephone.
  • Ability to operate standard office equipment.
  • Ability to travel locally or nationally for professional development.

Preferred:

• Advanced degree or certifications.
  • Minimum of five (5) years working in institutional advancement with complex relational databases, reporting and development softwares.
  • Experience working in a college or university setting, especially in a comprehensive fundraising campaign environment.
  • Strong knowledge of a CRM fundraising database, Oracle database, Banner and Argos.
  • Proficient in PL/SQL (Procedural Language/Structured Query Language).
  • Demonstrated experience in the design, deployment, maintenance, and documentation of large-scale software applications and databases.
  • Understanding of a variety of desktop software, e-mail packages, and network applications.

This is a full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off.  Click here to view employee testimonials and learn about what it’s like to be a part of the Swarthmore community!

Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.

Apply now