Job no: 494146
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Performs a wide range of tasks with a great deal of autonomy that includes: managing the Banner database of vendors; processing and coding incoming check requests and vendor invoices for data entry by AP clerk; processing annual 1099 tax forms; coordinating invoice vendor coding with various campus departments; provide enrollment instructions for vendors for outside check/ACH/Vcard processing with FIS; coordinate with Purchasing department for proper handling of invoices purchased on a PO; providing back-up for Accounts Payable clerk and Accounts Receivable clerk in their absence/as needed.
• Manages the Banner database of vendors.
• Manages email address for incoming W-9s from vendors.
• Reviews W-9 for completeness & determines if PA Act 43 applies.
• TIN matches the W-9 on the IRS website.
• Verifies vendor is not prohibited on OFAC website.
• Contacts vendor with any issues.
• Creates new vendor record in Banner & maintains documentation for vendor setup in BDM.
• Processes 1099 tax forms at year-end and maintain required data throughout the year in order to meet required IRS standards. Keeps abreast of changing requirements for 1099 reporting.
• Process and vendor code incoming check requests and vendor invoices for data entry by AP clerk ensuring proper coding, accuracy and internal accounting controls.
• Reconciles purchasing card for purchases made at third party travel agency.
• Completes the Pennsylvania tax-exempt application.
• Informs Associate Controller of any problems needing resolution at a higher level.
• Backs-up Accounts Payable clerk and Accounts Receivable clerk in their absence/as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Primary point of contact for the Accounts Payable section of the Business Office, which entails speaking with faculty, staff, students and vendors to promote a positive departmental service image. Answers common questions or gives directives in order to provide correct and timely information, guidance and assistance. Appropriately refers to or seeks assistance from department professionals or administrators in order to ensure that constituents’ complex or unusual questions are answered in a correct and timely fashion.
• Associates degree.
• Three to five years experience in comparable positions (preferably in an accounting/business office setting).
• Uses standard office equipment competently such as PC computer, copier/fax/scanner, and calculator to support department activities. • Proficiency in Banner Finance is a plus and the use of Microsoft Excel and Word for PC is required.
• Must use various software systems & be willing to learn new systems & software.
• Must be extremely detail oriented.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.