University of Pennsylvania
The Student Loan Specialist performs various duties related to the daily administration and servicing of Federal (both Title IV and Title VII) and Private student loans which have been awarded under a total financial aid package. Through workshops, trainings, in-person meetings, as well as telephone and email correspondence, the Student Loan Specialist will provide guidance to graduate and undergraduate students in all 12 of Penn’s Schools, developing and ensuring their understanding of eligibility, borrowing options, disbursements, refunds, repayment responsibilities and strategies; as well as the Federal, State, and University regulations, policies, and procedures that affect their aid packages. Experience working with federal sites such as COD, SAIG, and FSA is a plus as well as having excellent troubleshooting skills regarding extract files.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience; minimum of 3 years of financial aid experience
- Demonstrated experience in financial aid counseling, and a strong customer service orientation/skill set required.
- Knowledge of Department of Education software systems and data exchange required.. Experience with Banner preferred.
- Thorough and up-to-date knowledge of: Federal Direct Loan programs and their eligibility criteria and associated rules; private loan programs, their eligibility criteria, application processes, and transmission methods; Federal regulatory guidelines for the administration of Title IV and Title VII loans.
- Ability to research, evaluate, interpret and effectively communicate, in both oral and written form, rules and regulations to a diverse audience, in one-on-one sessions and in group presentations.
- Must be detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to document procedures.