PABUG How to handle change of title for a Major in Banner

Saul, John js4633 at tc.columbia.edu
Thu Aug 23 09:51:46 EDT 2018

Hello,

  I'm looking for some advice on how you might handle the change in a title
for a major in Banner.  If we just update STVMAJR, that's going to change
for all of history and the people who graduated prior to the title change
should still retain the name of the major they had at that time.

   Am I missing something?  The current method is to create a whole new
major code for the new title, but then that creates a nightmare scenario
when looking to do longitudinal reporting on that major, since we have to
maintain a new set of A to B translation information in the system.

  FYI this isn't about a new curricula, it's truly just a title change to
the major for rebranding purposes.

  Any suggestions on how to make this cleaner would be greatly appreciated.

John

--
John Saul
Director of Institutional Reporting